I made the follwoing post (with small edits) on the teslamotors.com forum. It answers questions from a poster named Tranman, who owns a BMW and is considering getting another or a Tesla.
Tranman – My wife and I own a Tesla Model S and a BMW 525. We sold a Lexus RX when the Tesla arrived.
To your main issues regarding your friends in the auto business:
– they tell me to be very cautious about buying Tesla – YES
– unproven car company who only started in 2003 and has been releasing cars for a short while – YES
– no performance record of how the vehicle will perform once it hits 50K miles – YES
– All of the kinks and unforeseen items that continue to pop up and Tesla says they’ll fix – YES
– Just understand you’re being an early adopter and there are positives and negatives that come along with it – YES
If your main issues with a car are amenities, you may want an ICE or BMW.
If your main issue with getting a car is the fundamental driving experience, get a Tesla.It’s simply better than a BMW and BMW’s line is ‘the ultimate driving machine” Sorry Germany. The US gets the upper hand in autos for the first time in decades.